Saturday, August 30, 2008

"waste not, want not" or "i am officially a hillbilly"


Now, I bet after I told you I had put up over 60 (and by now probably over 100) ears of corn you were wondering to yourself: just what did she do with all those left over cobs? Did those last clinging bits of sugary sunshine just get wasted? Fear not! Some of those little naked cobs have been floating around in water, sugar, and yeast for 2 weeks now, and today that mixture was decanted. 

ie: I made corn cob wine.

I know, I know, I'm probably the last person on earth you would expect to be churning out homemade wine, but hear me out. Because I'm not much of a drinker, I can be turned off by recipes that call for wine either because I don't know what kind to buy, or because I feel it's too much to spend for just one recipe. Sometimes, if I really really want to make it anyway, I'll replace the wine with stock or even leave it out all together, but I always feel as if I've cheated, like Frank Stitt would not approve. So, when I came across this recipe in one of my new favorite cookbooks, I felt obligated to try it out as it has the potiental to solve both of my wine dilemmas: it was dirt cheap to make because I had all the ingredients on hand. And, next time I make, say, risotto, I'll know exactly which wine to use. The recipe says its perfect for an "all-purpose tonic for the kitchen" that adds a "mysterious yet familiar flavor" of sweet corn. Now, maybe, just maybe, Frank Stitt would approve of that.

No comments: