Tuesday, August 26, 2008

sweet tart



Tonight for dinner we had leftovers, but when I got home from work I still really wanted to make something (at the end of a long day, cooking kind of relaxes me).  And I've been eyeing this brownie tart recipe basically since I bought the cookbook Barefoot in France. 

I know loving celebrity chefs is a little cheesy, and you will never catch me using the phrase "yum-o". But I am an Ina Garten groupie. She's the one to blame for my cookbook obsession.  I poured over her first three cookbooks more than I ever have any textbook.  I think what appeals to me most about her food is how familiar it is, and yet her recipe is always better than you remember it.  Basic yet smashing!! 

Well, anyway, the brownie recipe from her first cookbook makes the perfect brownies. Which I could try to describe, but I could never do them justice. Just trust me when I say perfection. There is a catch though: they cost a fortune to make (all those perfect ingredients!) because it makes enough to feed a small army. We can never eat all of them, no matter how aggressively we share them with others. It fills half sheet pan, which is perfect for large gatherings, but not so much when your craving them for yourself.  Enter the brownie tart. All of the perfection of her brownies, in a smaller, more affordable, (and, extra bonus!) more attractive package: an 11-inch tart pan. 


Luckily, my freezer just happened to contain a brownie's best friend, Cherry Garcia ice cream. My genius husband thought to hook them up, and now my stomach is so happy! Next time I take a dinner to someone (new baby, ect), I think I'll include this in the mix. It is adorable and delicious, and every one loves brownies!

No comments: