
I grew up in a predominantly wealthy community, farm life wasn't exactly "in". In spite of this fact, I was always so proud that my family was from rural Mississippi. I was so excited to take my first boyfriend to visit, and even more giddy to wake him up early to bottle feed the baby goats and pick peas (now that we're married, I let him sleep in). Doing these things makes me feel connected to the people and the places that I love. Even though I never actually lived on a farm, I feel a strong emotional connection to them, like the country-life I "vacationed" to as a child is somehow apart of what makes me, me. Everytime I drive by a farm or go to a farmers market, I feel warm and fuzzy inside. I guess its because that is closer than a usually live to picking vegetables with my grandfather and feeling mud squishing up between my toes.
Lately, I have been craving more of this life. But since my husband (the city boy) does not share the same sentiment, I get to live vicariously through farmgirl fare. She's about to sheer her sheep!
No comments:
Post a Comment