Tuesday, March 10, 2009

another adventure


I am on vacation. In Colorado. And its snowing. And, there is an elk living on the mountain behind our house that we can watch instead of tv. 

Let me try to describe to you just how this feels:

1. Amazing. Did you get the part about the elk? Yeah. And the view of a snow covered mountain from our house? Not too hard to grasp this concept, is it? This next one might be...

2. Incredibly painful. You see, we came here with friends to go snowboarding. My husband taught me how to snowboard 10 years ago, and it is thrilling. There is nothing else like riding down a mountain, feeling that rush, taking in the views, communing with nature. But therein lies the rub: there is no other activity I do like it. Nothing else that requires such unsuspecting muscles to awake from their slumber and scream at the top of their lungs.  I don't want to take away from the fact that the past two days have been amazing, and some of the most fun and best conditions we've ever had on such a trip. But the fact remains that I sit hear writing this because any other activity (including going to bed) would require getting up and moving, and this is something my body is not willing to do right now.  

We will ride again on Thursday and Friday, but we are taking tomorrow off. Which is good, because I'm pretty sure my body was going to anyway. I am not exaggerating in any way when I say it even hurts to breathe. Don't feel too sorry for me though. It does help that there is a hot tub on our deck, overlooking the mountains, with steam rising up into the snow. Maybe I should go back and add that to the amazing part. Or maybe not, I might be too sore to edit.

No comments: